Sunday, August 28, 2011

Going...Going...Gone

It’s official.

BoyGenius took his road test. He passed….he has a DRIVER’S LICENSE.



I guess this means he did obey all the stop signs and red lights and shoulder checked and did not speed.

And I do have confidence in his driving because we have been driving together quite a lot lately.  At least, I had confidence until he uttered a fateful line after he found out he passed:

“Now I have the same license as you Mom, so I’m just as good a driver as you.”

Big sigh.

The funny part of this test experience today was that I left him at the local Registry to do the paper work and get his temporary license because I had to rush to the other end of the city to pick up his sister from her day camp.

So he had to WALK home. LOL! Well, I sure thought this was funny, but he didn’t quite see it that way.

Then the worst thing happened….he asked to use my minivan tonight so he can take his girlfriend out for supper to celebrate. Oh. My. Heavens. How could I not anticipate that question and all the emotions that came with it? I was not prepared for the rush of anxiety and fear. Mostly fear.

Some of you have probably gone through all this before, but for me it was an absolutely heart wrenching moment…to hand my keys over to him. GULP.
MY key...mine mine MINE!


So I stood on the driveway as he drove away and did what every scrapbooking mom would do. I grabbed my camera and took photos.
Going....
Going....
GONE.


These are the photos that break my heart.

Because not only is he driving away from me….he is officially leaving his childhood behind.
A safer mode of transportation, with his Grandpa steering.


I want my keys back, I want my van back….but most of all, I want my baby boy back.

20 comments:

  1. Oh, I fear the day this happens to me, Kelly! But at least now I know what to expect and I hope I can handle it with half the grace and aplomb that you have. Loved the story in pictures and especially the wonderfully sweet pic at the end. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel Kelly...my oldest just finished college and has been working in Iqaluit for the last 2 months.But he comes home on Thursday...YAY!!! Bet you are looking forward to your scrappy friend coming to visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kelly--I'm with you on all those emotions. Time for DH and you to go out on a date!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww...what's worse ? the fear? or the sadness? Totally love the last pic with his grandpa! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet & touching story. You have such a masterful way of sharing your life with us. You have done a great job raising your son and that will help him make the right choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs Kelly! I have been through it and it's hard for us moms sometimes to accept that our kids are growing up. They are becoming independent, but they will always need us. My two older kids are now married and I am seeing this now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear ya....my dd takes her test in 2 weeks. I will take pics too :)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. yikes - makes me want to go kiss my babies (but I don't want to wake them, LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH Kelly!!! I just want to give you a big hug you poor girl!!!! I'm all teared up for u ;) !! Congrats to BG for getting his license! Now if he'd only quit scaring his mom! And I loved the irony of walking hom LOL. Big hugs, take care, can't wait to see your next post ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love the photo of BG and GBG. Brought tears to my eyes. Permission request to cross post to my Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh the time is just going so fast! My DD is stuck in NYC coming home tomorrow and this is the longest I've been away from her. I can't imagine what I'll feel when she drives away. It kinda sucks. I love the wheel barrel pics, so darn cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the laugh but most of all for the good cry! I totally get how heart wrenching it would be to see your baby boy drive away... hugs to you my friend! I do not look forward to having my kids grow up LoL!!! Hannah is going into Grade 1 on Thursday and I am already getting emotional.
    Hugs!!
    Limor

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats??? Total roller coaster of a ride for you right now. Just know that you have given him the tools to be a good person and make the right decisions (hopefully *wink*)

    I'm so going to be a mess when my boy is at this stage. I'm sad (and happy) he is starting preschool in a week!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Kelly, great big, in the same boat as you, momma hugs-Lord knows we need them! Loved those photos and your story, especially the part about him having to walk that day-lol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh dear Lord girl! I know this was funny but I actually felt a little teary eyed because I envisioned my son, and I imagine it is very hard to swallow!!! I mean I'm not even wanting to send him to kindergarten next year...not because I want him around 24/7 because I could use a break...but because time is flying by way too fast and although I know its supposed to happen, it still breaks my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh yeah! Congrats to your "baby" boy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awe! Makes me want to hug my baby boys and tell them not to grow up another day... ok, well get potty trained - and then stop growing!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yep, it happens quickly, doesn it, Kelly? I love your page, your last photo, and everything here! TFS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooooh Kelly... my oldest Grandaughter is gonna graduate High School this year, I have been through this with my kids and now my Grandkids. I have totally white hair now, and I blame THIS moment with each and every one! Love that you documented this... save it for when his kids start to drive, send him this photo, he will get it then!!! hehehe... it is sooooo fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You captured the essence of that moment! I was not sure why giving up the keys was such a big deal for me too... but having to let go of the child is exactly what it is about. Of course R didn't see it that way! And then there came the "first" accident... another story! Sharon

    ReplyDelete