Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day Thoughts

Yesterday, my husband read this wonderful quotation by Mark Twain (in the newspaper), which I'm sure many of you have heard before..


When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.  But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.  ~Mark Twain, "Old Times on the Mississippi" Atlantic Monthly, 1874

 I find consolation in these words, mostly because Twain is saying that 140 years ago (and probably since the beginning of time), parents have had to deal with the teenage mindset of "I know EVERYTHING and you know NOTHING."

And I also admire Mark Twain for finding the comedy within the teenager's absurd point of view.

Because that's what I want to do...laugh at these silly moments in life, instead of cry.

Happy Father's Day to all those deserving dads out there who make a difference in their children's lives and don't give up on them in the teenage years.
BoyGenius(BG) and his Dad, 3 summers ago
 



8 comments:

  1. Amen! This Father's Day morning, Bob got a call from Chris (who now lives in an apartment 3 miles away with 2 other "boys") that his car would not start. Bob went right over and the car started. I'm glad Chris gave his Dad a present yesterday (courtesy of Mom transferring money electronically into his account so he'd have the funds). I'm still waiting for the other son to call his Dad. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please send your snail mail address. I have gathered some Tim Holtz from my stash to send you. Have a good week, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Mark Twain also knew that other parents need consolation while waiting for their smart children to get smarter. The photo of your husband and BG is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwwww...now you're making me cry! Great photo of your menfolk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful words!!! Kelly
    Your LO is so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, everything you said is totally true, Kelly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cool one :),
    well thanks for the invite, I will follow you and would like to invite you too :)
    Mayby in the next couple of days I will meet you in S-shop?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quote from Mark Twain is so true. I often thought the same kinds of things as I got older. It seems the older I get, the smarter my parents get. I had a (much younger) coworker ask me recently if there was anything I missed about my teenage years. I told him (and that my Dad could verify it) the one thing I missed was knowing everything and having an answer for everything. It seems the older I get, I realize there are days I don't know jack.

    ReplyDelete