Monday, June 13, 2011

Transparency Leaves Tutorial

Since my initial goal was to blog about scrapbooking, I'd better get to it! ha ha!

Here's a better pic of my two-page Graphic 45 Springtime layout, "Our Fairytale," which I taught at my local scrapbook store called Scrap-A-Lot. I LOVE designing for Kim at the store, and she has soooo many wonderful products and paper collections in stock.  All the products used in this tutorial are from Scrap-A-Lot.

When I posted it here on my blog about a week ago, I also had a photo tutorial of how to make that canvas tree.  And then I promised another tutorial on the leaves. Better late than never, I guess! 

I do have a Cricut and am starting to use it more often, but I find myself pulling out my Big Shot and dies a lot.  After creating this layout, however, I was kicking myself that I used a Big Shot to cut ALL those tiny leaves!!



Basically there are two types of leaves cut...paper and transparency.  Here is the Sizzlet die I used for the paper leaves up in the tree and the transparency leaves in the bushes below....

And here is the Sizzlet die I used for the paper leaves with the canvas flowers in the bottom left page corner....

Now I got some 'splaining to do!! Sit tight....and here we go!
Gather your supplies.  The Tattered Angels Mist is only for spraying the paper leaves a darker colour, NOT for the transparency leaves.  
Cut a piece of transparency the size of the Sizzlet die. (Just LOVE that word Sizzlet!)
You might have to snip a bit around the die cut if the Sizzlet doesn't cut through the transparency completely.
Pour some Tattered Angels Glimmer Glam "Dirty Martini" into its lid and dip in the leaves. (Hmmm...whoever named that product is GENIUS! I'd actually love a job naming colours of sprays and inks and stuff!)
After Glam has dried, add touches of gold toned Tattered Angels Glimmer Glaze "Saffron".  (Sorry, can't seem to rotate this photo!! Just tilt your head..hee hee!)
Here is the final effect up close.  I did turn the leaves OVER so the Glam & Glaze are on the backside of the leaves when I adhered them to the page.

You might ask, "Why are you colouring transparency instead of just using paper leaves?? Good question. I wanted to play with the effects of light and colour in the trees, maybe even recreate the sunlight dappling through the leaves. :)  Wishful thinking, I know. ha ha!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!  Hope you have fun creating your own transparency leaves!

8 comments:

  1. Awesome tutorial...looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmy! this is a great lo!! Love the tutorial too! I am a sizzix lover too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial. The effect of the inks on the plastic is gorgeous. Thanks for posting your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooo...great tutorial Kelly! I think its cool that you used two different types of leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just love it... it just adds more to the dimension and depth of your page! Thanks for the tutorial... and keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing this awesome tutorial with us, Kelly! Your layout is out of this world! Hugs ~Gerry~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this creative tutorial! I'll be sure to give it a try. Congrats on your new blog, I just became a follower. Looking foward the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your transparency leaves are gorgeous and do capture the look of sunlight passing through the tree boughs.

    ReplyDelete